Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Registered On: October 29, 2019
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Hello,

I’m using the Demo version in hopes of buying the full license.  I’m having some issues that are not a part of the demo limitations.

I will give my rig setup at the bottom of this post.

Issue 1: CPU spike when focusing on multimode part.  My CPU spikes to 200%+ for a moment, which breaks the audio, every single time that I click on the number of a part in order to start managing the sounds of that part.

Issue 2: Envelope/Filter/LFO settings get ‘stuck’ when trialing multiple patches rapidly.  I have encountered an issue whereby my simple sequence starts getting into a very repetitive setting (sounds like perhaps an envelope is stuck with it’s setting, or an LFO, or a filter setting) whereby, when I then switch to other patches, they all retain the same setting (stutter attack with a very short sustain and no release sound, but the envelopes look right when i move them around).

Issue 3: GUI actions don’t get sent to my unit.  I have the editor working fine most of the time, but occasionally, i will change something and it will not be enacted.  This happens the most when changing envelope types (ADSR to ADSD2S2r, for instance), and I then have to reboot the plug-in.  Since I’m on the demo version, I lose all of my settings.

My setup:

* What system you are using and OS version.

Macbook Pro (2018) 2.9Ghz corei9 Mac OS10.14.6

* What DAW you are using.

Ableton Live 10.1.2 – using the plug-in as an AU.

* What audio interface you are using.

Antelope Audio Orion 32+ on 96Khz (I also sometimes run Waves Sound Grid Server, so the driver is installed, but I’ve not run it with this plug-in active, as yet)

* What MIDI interface you are using.

TIE 1i1o

* What did you do to find the bug / issue?

I was replacing soft synths from imported songs (from bandmates) with microQ sounds.

* How we can re-create the issue in our end to fix it.

I’m not sure.

I really love the look and feel of the plugin, and would love to purchase a working version, but these issues would be a no-go for me (predominantly the CPU spike which cuts audio, as I play live shows and cannot sacrifice stability for something like this.

• Author
    Replies
      Novaline
      Registered On: October 14, 2016
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 404

Hello,

when using demo, please keep in mind that certain things are being restricted

more info here ´´ Waldorf microQxR AudioUnit & VST Editor / Librarian DEMO downloads – DEMO limitations can be found from FAQ tab below.
      32-bit Demo available at Downloads Tab.´´

Waldorf microQxR AudioUnit & VST Librarian Editor Plug-in

Scroll down and press FAQ

Certain Midi devices and especially cheap one tend to not work with the plugins because its not capable to send data properly.
      Highly suggest a more high end midiinterface.I am not experienced with that brand of yours.

Make sure that your DAW on your mac is setup correct by following this video or manual i provide

(this goes for the virus but the concept is the same)

VirusHC – Configuring Ableton Live (Mac)

Make sure that the hardware configuration is setup correctly (it might work if its done with your midiinterface)

Configure microQ for our plug-in

hope this helps
      Thanks
      Mauricio

STUDIO GEAR: RME FIREFACE 802, FERROFISH PULSE 16 MX, EVE AUDIO SC 207, EVE AUDIO TS108, ROLAND JP8000, ROLAND JP8080, NOVATION SUPERNOVA, ACCESS VIRUS A, WALDORF PULSE, WALDORF MICRO Q, ROLAND SH201, MS2000, NORD RACK 1

densefever
      Participant

Hello.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it wasn’t that useful, as I had already been aware of the limitations, I had configured the uQ himself, and Ableton was setup similarly to your video. I decided to buy the full-fledged plug-in to see if the limitations were causing any issues. To be fair, the full version is more robust, but I’m still suffering from a few things that make my uQ unstable to use in a live setting. The CPU spike is still there, but only in certain projects. Once it is resident in a project, it’s always there (when I switch parts in the plug-in).

I also changed midi devices twice (I tried a MIDISPORT 2×2, which should be as tried and true as it gets) and still got the same issues. I’m now using a Roland UM-ONE which should be stable for large transfer of MIDI data.

The worst challenge I have now, however, is that the patches all start to have the same or a similar ‘challenge’ to them. It’s really hard to explain, but saving a preset setting and recalling after reopening Ableton causes the patches to sound as if they are being driven hard with distortion or something, and when I start selecting other patches from the patch banks, they systematically all start to have the same quality. I’m at my wits end here trying to work these issues out.

As stated in my last support request, I have followed the setup instructions and I listed my hardware and software.

It could also be that my uQ is malfunctioning, I hadn’t used it in around 10 years until recently, so I am unsure how stable it may actually be.

Thanks!

Novaline

´´The worst challenge I have now, however, is that the patches all start to have the same or a similar ‘challenge’ to them. It’s really hard to explain, but saving a preset setting and recalling after reopening Ableton causes the patches to sound as if they are being driven hard with distortion or something, and when I start selecting other patches from the patch banks, they systematically all start to have the same quality. I’m at my wits end here trying to work these issues out. ´´

Hello again,

ah yes about that, i get the same issue with my Micro Q but i have a temporary solution until i foward this to Jani for a new update fix.

What i did was

1. open your project as usual
      2. after opening, do not press play
      3. open up the plugin and reset the midi-ports and re-choose them again and it will sound normal again

Another question i have.

By saying uQ, do you mean by Ultralite Q rack version?

also,
      What is your current OS on your Micro Q/Ultralite Q?
      Make sure you have OS 2.23 which is the latest OS for the MICRO Q series.

download link
      https://waldorfmusic.com/en/hardware-archive/micro-q-series/micro-q-series-downloads/category/206-System

regarding you usage 10 years is alot so i might suggest you to check out the parts that they are also functioning properly and move all the paramters around randomly for a few days and see if it acts normal after 10 years of a break.

Let me know if something else is going on.

Kind regards
      Mauricio

STUDIO GEAR: RME FIREFACE 802, FERROFISH PULSE 16 MX, EVE AUDIO SC 207, EVE AUDIO TS108, ROLAND JP8000, ROLAND JP8080, NOVATION SUPERNOVA, ACCESS VIRUS A, WALDORF PULSE, WALDORF MICRO Q, ROLAND SH201, MS2000, NORD RACK 1

densefever
      Participant

Hello and thank you for the response.

Indeed, resetting the MIDI input and output of the Audio Unit plugin did in fact stop the feedback loop that I was hearing nonstop.

When I say uQ, I mean my microQ rack (yellow version). My current version was 2.14. I am trying to update now, but can’t find a way to send the midi file(s) that I’ve downloaded.

I’ve been playing with the uQ now for about 5 weeks, so I’ve gone through all parameters and changed every thing I can think of… I still have issues with the patches affecting each other as well.

I still have an issue where changing the timbre/part gives a CPU spike of roughly 115% or more.

Thanks!

Novaline

Hi again,

ok so you should update your OS for sure. It always important to be up-to-date on any synth.

since you are MAC user. Use Sysex Librarian

Download here
      https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

once installation is done , start the update and make sure you follow Waldorfs Instructions on how to update OS

when you are done, Try to start the plugin with the hardware again to see if it works better (which it should)

If anything else,
      Please get back to me so we can investigate further.

Thanks
      Mauricio

densefever
      Participant

Hi. I updated the firmware on the uQ now to 2.24 as instructed, but I still have two outstanding issues (aside from the one where I get feedback from recalled settings).

I still get a cpu spike which cuts out my audio, but only on some of my sequences, some don’t do that. I can not find the common link.

I also have an issue where some parts become the same part. What I mean is that I will have part 2 have one patch, part 3 another patch, but when I load the song back, they both have the sound of one of the patches rather than the original two patches. This also comes with the duplicate message, and may have something to do with mixing the banks and having similar numbers (bank 1 sound 14; bank 2 sound 14), but also happens when they are not similar. Resetting the uQ and closing ableton and restarting sometimes works to alleviate the issue. Sometimes not.

Novaline

Hi. I updated the firmware on the uQ now to 2.24 as instructed, but I still have two outstanding issues (aside from the one where I get feedback from recalled settings).

I still get a cpu spike which cuts out my audio, but only on some of my sequences, some don’t do that. I can not find the common link.

I also have an issue where some parts become the same part. What I mean is that I will have part 2 have one patch, part 3 another patch, but when I load the song back, they both have the sound of one of the patches rather than the original two patches. This also comes with the duplicate message, and may have something to do with mixing the banks and having similar numbers (bank 1 sound 14; bank 2 sound 14), but also happens when they are not similar. Resetting the uQ and closing ableton and restarting sometimes works to alleviate the issue. Sometimes not.

Hello again,

okey well after reading this again i am now guessing that your midi-interface is not very compatible to send or get Sysex data properly or at all. Therefore, the plugin wont work properly.

Do you perhaps have any other midi-interface to try out?

Jani is a MAC user so perhaps he can answer the MAC related issue more in depth for you.

Regarding REQUIRMENTS

The requirments for using this is to have a proper midi interface not less than 50 euro.

I will Quoute the FAQ Requirments that said on Mystery Islands Music Website

Frequently Asked Questions

WHAT ARE THE PLUG-IN REQUIREMENTS?
      You need the real hardware synthesizer which the editor is made for. If PRO upgrade is available, hardware is not required. List for requirements:

-You need the real hardware synth, which the editor is made for.
      -32/64-bit AudioUnit / VST host for Mac or PC.
      MIDI interface. A good one which supports SysEx messages. Don’t buy anything which is less than 50€.
      -Direct MIDI in / out connection between your synth and the MIDI interface. No MIDI Thru connections or MIDI in only / MIDI out only connections.
      -Audio cables from the synth to soundcard or mixer in order to hear the sound.

If you want further and deeper investigation , Please contact Jani the owner and developer

Contact

Either through Phone or mail.

Sorry i couldnt do much at the moment but i will notify him about this thread!

Kind regards
      Mauricio

densefever
      Participant

I have tried three different midi interfaces, but cannot figure out how to determine the quality of an interface that can exchange SysEx messages as you are asking. I’ve recently purchased the Roland um one for that exact reason, and it also has the same issues. I’ve also tried my TIE 1i1o, and my tried and trusted midi sport 2×2 but all of the interfaces seem to give me the exact same issues.

Novaline

I have tried three different midi interfaces, but cannot figure out how to determine the quality of an interface that can exchange SysEx messages as you are asking. I’ve recently purchased the Roland um one for that exact reason, and it also has the same issues. I’ve also tried my TIE 1i1o, and my tried and trusted midi sport 2×2 but all of the interfaces seem to give me the exact same issues.

hi again,

sorry for the late reply.

After talking to jani regarding the spike issue he said this:

´´ok, so, all plugin do cause spikes if sysex controllers are being used while playback is on. if the controller is regular cc controller, then there should not be any spikes that i’m aware of..´´

regarding what interfaces are able to read sysex.

as mentioned on FAQ

´´–MIDI interface. A good one which supports SysEx messages. Don’t buy anything which is less than 50€.

that means that any interface less than that price will not be able to recieve or transfer sysex data.
      Recomended ones are above 50 euros.

hope that information help and please check your micro q regarding what jani mentioned.

If you need further help, please contact jani for further assistance.

Let me know more,

Thanks
      Mauricio

Novaline

Hello,

this thread will be closed and set as unresolved since we havent heard anything from you until now. This will be marked as resolved if we havent heard anything from you in at least 1 month to make sure to sort out the forum and clean stuff up. please make a new thread if this has been marked as resolved unless you have answered.

all the best
      team MIM

densefever
      Participant

I eventually bought an iconnectivity mioXL to not only try and work this out, but also to host my usb MIDI devices etc.

Unfortunately, I am having the same instability with sending and receiving data to my micro Q, to the point where I cannot use it in my life sets, as the correct patches don’t load (without the workaround of having to reselect the midi device each time) which costs too much time during a live performance with my band.

Earlier in this thread there was a mention that there would be a fix for that specific issue, have you roadmapped that yet?

The other issue (sound outage when switching parts on the Mirco Q plugin) persists, but only on some of my arrangements, and not on others. I cannot seem to work out the variable that causes this, and even after switching to the mioXL which specifically states that it manages sysex messages and can even queue and route sysex as part of its main features, i still have that issue on some of my arrangements.

As it stands, I’m thinking of abandoning the plugin and the micro Q from my setup as I cannot get it to function as I need currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Novaline

Hello again,

Is it possible to have a chat with you on Skype or team viewer so I can investigate this issue internally with you to eventually report eventual bugs?

I haven’t had any problems with my micro Q lately so that’s why I would kindly ask you if you got some time this week or maybe next week?

I have studio Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Let me know at mauricio@mysteryislands-music.com

Will do my very best in order to fix this problem

Thanks
      Mauricio

Novaline

bug report done

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.