Settings for Performance slots on weird defaults at start up?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Registered On: November 22, 2018
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 19

I’m noticing if I start up the plugin, and set it to Perf on the synth, if I don’t actually touch track settings line panning, or mute, setting the plugin track in Cubase 9.0 to the global channel will play the SNII. Once I touch a channels settings, I have to use the channel I selected now. The problem though is things like panning is set to 100% Left, and the effects are default to Part instead of Program. I have to manually change them, even though the preset itself is NOT set to those settings. I’m sure there are other settings it’s forcing and not checking what the plugin is set for or the patch itself.

Devon

• Author
    Replies

• Jani
    Keymaster
    Registered On: August 21, 2014
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 184

Hi Devon,

Is this still the case? If you insert the plug-in and then set the synth to Performance mode or so, you have to sync the data from HW to plugin in order to have same values in both ends. Marking this as new bug for now – Let me know how to proceed.

Put your setup details in the signature to help us understand your setup, thank you!

Access Virus C & Virus TI2, 2x Clavia Nord Rack 2 & Nord Rack 3, Roland JP-8000 & JP-8080, Novation Nova, Supernova Rack, Supernova 2 Rack, UltraNova & 2x KS-Rack, Waldorf Q Rack, microQ, Pulse+, Pulse 2 & Blofeld SL, Korg MS2000R, Radias & microKorg, Yamaha AN1x, AN200, CS6x + PLG150-AN & EX5, M-Audio Venom, 3x UA Apollo Quad, Satellite Quad, PoCo x8, MOTU micro lite, 3x Emagic AMT8, MacPro 6,1

DevonB
    Participant

I haven’t re-tested this since then, but I would believe it to still be the case. If I did sync from hardware, then it would be correct with no hard left panning. Not sure what syncs and what doesn’t sync when you first load up the plugin and what syncs when you change things in the interface. This is the same type of problem that the qXr 1.0.4 plugin has with assumptions of what’s loaded into Channel 1-4; it’s not displayed in the interface (It shows INIT for 4 channels, but 4 channels are unmuted), and it’s not set that way on the synth, but somehow the program thinks it’s set that way, even though it doesn’t show that in the interface.

If there is a methodology for syncing every time you load up, that should be front and center in the directions. The lack of full documentation for these plugins has been my biggest frustration. There are so many features, buttons and menu items that have to do with the plugin and not the synth itself that aren’t entirely self explanatory. Hire someone to write them for you, if you don’t have the time. You’ve been saying for months if not years that you plan get better docs. Seems like you’re doing absolutely everything, but you’ve grown your company far bigger than one person can handle. Meaning no disrespect, but I’d suggest hiring some help. I know the other VSTi synth makers that are small aren’t doing absolutely everything on their own.

Devon

Jani
    Keymaster
    Registered On: August 21, 2014
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 184

Yeah I hear you. Now that most of the updates are done for most of the plug-ins, I will shut down development process until the Docs are finished.

I did set the parts 5-16 muted by default. Plugin only gets global settings from the synth once initialized. User always needs to sync data from HW when inserting a new instance of the plugin OR then push current settings to HW if wanted to start from fresh.

Parts 5-16 are muted, so that the plugin loading time reduces on total recall. Muted parts are not sent to hardware on total recall nor they should be requested either if hardware has part muted.

I hope that explains some 🙂 I’ll re-arrange the forums here and then I will finish off the documentary.

Thanks for your patience, its been a long road.

– J

Put your setup details in the signature to help us understand your setup, thank you!

Access Virus C & Virus TI2, 2x Clavia Nord Rack 2 & Nord Rack 3, Roland JP-8000 & JP-8080, Novation Nova, Supernova Rack, Supernova 2 Rack, UltraNova & 2x KS-Rack, Waldorf Q Rack, microQ, Pulse+, Pulse 2 & Blofeld SL, Korg MS2000R, Radias & microKorg, Yamaha AN1x, AN200, CS6x + PLG150-AN & EX5, M-Audio Venom, 3x UA Apollo Quad, Satellite Quad, PoCo x8, MOTU micro lite, 3x Emagic AMT8, MacPro 6,1

DevonB
    Participant

Yes, that makes sense about speeding up the sync time by only having 4 channels instead of 16, so thanks for doing that as a solution.

Still, the problem remains that it seems that the GUI shows one thing, and when you touch the GUI, settings that are showing one thing are actually holding the value of another. The PAN knob shows Center, but when you touch something, it transmit it to Left 63 because the program thinks that’s the value. Same with the Q; the GUI shows INIT for the channel, but the program thinks it has a patch in its place. There seems to be a disconnect between the GUI and the underlying program on first launch. Once I actually move whatever feature (the oscillator, panning, volume, filter, etc) then they match. It’s that initial start. Does that make sense?

And good news on the documentation! Woohoo!

Devon

DevonB
    Participant

Ok, I did further testing tonight. It’s exactly as I describe above. If I have the synth in perf mode, set the channel to 16 in Cubase 10, I can select and play presets from the Librarian. Once I touch a channel on the left hand side of the Librarian, I no longer hear the preset I was playing and have to switch to the channel now that was set on the left hand side, which is channel 1. If I press mute, it’ll mute the channel, but when I press mute again to unmute, I get no sound. I also got weird, corrupted like sounds like multiple presets were playing at the same time before I pressed mute. I switched back to Prog mode on the synth, and played a patch and all was good again.

I’m looking forward to the docs. Maybe it’s something I’m doing, maybe it’s a bug. But complete instructions of what all the features are I think will help a lot in wrapping my head around this thing.

Devon

Devon

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.