SL Licensed Patches not setting Oscillator Shapes correctly

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Registered On: August 26, 2018
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

When I copy out a bank of SL enabled patches which refer to the higher wavetables, the patch editor reinterprets the wave table reference as one of the basic wavetables. On re-selection of one of those patches from the Patch Librarian, the patch plays back with the re-interpreted wavetable shapes.

Manually moving the sound selection away from that patch, then back again, restores the correct oscillator wavetable shapes in the hardware patch.

Examination of the Waldorf sys-ex documentation, in comparison to an Emacs hex mode view of the original patch, shows that either the documentation is off by 1, showing that Limit WT is in the wrong place, or else the documentation is correct, requiring inverted logic in the interpretation of Limit WT, and then a “reserved” code next to Brilliance (last byte of Oscillator parameters) is “1”.

Perhaps Waldorf really is using inverted logic on Limit WT, their documented parameter ordering is correct, and that “1” code actually does live in a “reserved” slot, and refers to the next higher wavetable storage area?

As it stands, the editor cannot be used for editing those SL sounds, even after manually correcting the oscillators. It appears that any changes to knobs in the editor cause it to update the hardware edit buffer with the entire contents of the patch parameters, resetting those oscillators to their incorrect values.

And using the patch editor to correctly back up those patches is not possible either.

• Author
    Replies
    dbmcclain
    Participant
    Registered On: August 26, 2018
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Ah, I see that I can lock the Oscillators and prevent their being rewritten on knob changes to envelopes and filters. That helps a lot.

Jani
    Keymaster
    Registered On: August 21, 2014
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 184

I just updated my blofeld to SL version so I can do these tests deeper. I will check this out and see what I can do 🙂

Put your setup details in the signature to help us understand your setup, thank you!

Access Virus C & Virus TI2, 2x Clavia Nord Rack 2 & Nord Rack 3, Roland JP-8000 & JP-8080, Novation Nova, Supernova Rack, Supernova 2 Rack, UltraNova & 2x KS-Rack, Waldorf Q Rack, microQ, Pulse+, Pulse 2 & Blofeld SL, Korg MS2000R, Radias & microKorg, Yamaha AN1x, AN200, CS6x + PLG150-AN & EX5, M-Audio Venom, 3x UA Apollo Quad, Satellite Quad, PoCo x8, MOTU micro lite, 3x Emagic AMT8, MacPro 6,1

Jani
    Keymaster
    Registered On: August 21, 2014
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 184

Hey,

New version of bloX should have this covered now. ie, if Oscillator Shape is set to User Wavetable 24, it should recall it as well.
    There is no option to download/upload waveforms yet, nor to rename custom ones, but we will get there at some point 🙂

Thanks,
    Jani

Put your setup details in the signature to help us understand your setup, thank you!

Access Virus C & Virus TI2, 2x Clavia Nord Rack 2 & Nord Rack 3, Roland JP-8000 & JP-8080, Novation Nova, Supernova Rack, Supernova 2 Rack, UltraNova & 2x KS-Rack, Waldorf Q Rack, microQ, Pulse+, Pulse 2 & Blofeld SL, Korg MS2000R, Radias & microKorg, Yamaha AN1x, AN200, CS6x + PLG150-AN & EX5, M-Audio Venom, 3x UA Apollo Quad, Satellite Quad, PoCo x8, MOTU micro lite, 3x Emagic AMT8, MacPro 6,1

The topic ‘SL Licensed Patches not setting Oscillator Shapes correctly’ is resolved and closed to new replies.